We Are Going Nuts for Jewels Under the Kilt!
Jewels Under the Kilt
Exclusive Interview with Elisabeth Burrow
Owner Founder of Jewels Under the Kilt
Recipient of the 2025 Alla Salute Award of Excellence
Introduction by Alla Salute
At Alla Salute Magazine, we celebrate Canadian innovators who bring passion, creativity, and
excellence to everything they do. This year, we are proud to honor Elisabeth Burrow, the
visionary founder of Jewels Under the Kilt. Known for her artisanal nut products that combine
bold flavors with a commitment to quality, Elizabeth has carved out a unique place in Canada’s
culinary landscape. In this exclusive interview, she shares the story behind her company, what
winning this award means to her, and what’s next for Jewels Under the Kilt.
Elizabeth, congratulations on winning the Alla Salute Award of Excellence! How does it feel
to receive this recognition?
Thank you so much. I am extremely humbled by this award. It came as such a surprise. I'm proud of my team for helping me make these nuts.
Can you tell us the story of how Jewels Under the Kilt began? What inspired you to start the
company?
The beginning started from a jar of dark maple syrup. My Husband’s Family had a
sugar bush, and we would get jars of Dark maple syrup. I really didn’t know what I was going to
do with it, because my husband and I, along with our daughter, didn’t eat anything with syrup. I
did it with a lot of nuts that is got from Bulk Barn or bulk from grocery stores, but they never tasted
good, and the alternative ones were just not healthy enough for me. So by sheer luck, I created a
patented process that uses the syrup as a preservative and not a sweetener. I never could make
nuts for one person, so I’d make a ton of nuts and eventually started selling them, and then we
started growing them and my dream of creating a sustainable life for our disabled daughter was
born.
The name is so unique! How did you come up with “Jewels Under the Kilt,” and what does
it represent to you?
The name of the company came about because my partner ( Husband ) was joking
with me while I was trying to register a name for our business. As soon as he said it, I knew it
was the one. I registered it right away. To me, the name is fun, and that’s what our company is all
about. Having fun and making great nuts.
Starting a food business is no small task. What were some of the biggest challenges you
face in the early days, and how did you overcome them?
I have faced many challenges, the first was a push back on the name of the company from one of the larger vendors. I was so upset and saddened by this that I almost went and made the change. We actually created a whole new name and design. I am really glad. That I changed my mind and decided to stay with Jewels under the kilt. We have created a very strong brand that represents my daughter and the life we are building for her. Another difficulty is staffing. As we grew the company, we needed people to fill positions. This can be hard since the farm is out of town and people need to drive to the job site. We had to change the way we hire in order to have staff retention and diversity.
Also funding for my little company to grow. The funding never seemed to come my way. So this
hardship turned into a good thing. We grew at a manageable rate.
Your products stand out for their quality and flavor. What’s your creative process for
developing new varieties?
They are processed through my brain. I work the recipe through my head for a while. Sometimes it takes a while to work it out to get the results in looking for. Then we just roast my vision and see if it turns out the way I was thinking. People think. I am part magician, part scientist.
Winning this award is a huge milestone. What impact do you think it will have on your
company and on your own journey as an entrepreneur?
Well, for me and the team, we are very humbled by this award. I think it will reinforce the beauty of being an inclusive company and working with your employees rather than working above them.
Looking ahead, what are your plans for Jewels Under the Kilt? Are there new products?
markets, or collaborations on the horizon?
I have a couple of innovations in the works. One is an international line using sauces from different countries and adding a modern twist.
Thanks, Elizabeth, for keeping it going! We love Jewels Under the Kilt Artisan Nuts. Where to buy:
https://www.jewelsunderthekilt.com/where-to-buy
Labels: canada, canadian, Canadiangrown, farm, homegrown, jewelsunderthekilt, madeinontario, nuts, ontario





0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home