Wednesday, October 22, 2025

Who is Nonno Pesto, the Interview

 Exclusive Interview with Mario, Owner of Nonno Pesto


When you think of authentic Italian flavor, few things come close to the rich, fresh taste of pesto.

For Mario, owner and founder of Nonno Pesto, creating this traditional sauce is more than just a

business; it’s a passion rooted in family, heritage, and a love of real food. His dedication has

earned Nonno Pesto recognition as one of the most exciting artisan food brands in Canada,

especially as families prepare their holiday tables.  We sat down with Mario to talk about his journey, 

how he makes his signature pesto, and his vision for the future.


The Interview

1. Mario, thank you for joining us. Can you tell our readers how Nonno Pesto began and

what inspired you to start making pesto?

My father Domenico (Nonno to the kids) worked for Air Canada. I had the gift of travel at an

early age, and Italy was a regular destination. I learned the art of making Pesto from my Zio in

Genoa.

2. Pesto has so many variations. What makes your recipe unique compared to others on the

market?

I prepare several types of Pesto. From traditional to fusion, spin on this amazing sauce. Nonno’s

Pesto is made to order, it’s fresh, with ZERO preservatives. I never sell frozen pesto to

customers. Freezing degrades the nuances of taste.

3. Walk us through your process,  how do you make your pesto, and what ingredients do

you feel are essential to capturing that authentic flavor?




For smaller batches, I use a mortar and pestle. For larger batches, I give my hands and wrists a

break and use a food processor. I throttle the blade ever so gently to achieve a similar result

you would find using traditional equipment. Making a fresh batch starts with shopping for the

key ingredients. I source the best pine nuts. I get garlic from the local farms north of me in

Burlington. I use high-quality EVOO, extra-virgin olive oil that is delicate enough to marry with

the tastes of Pecorino Romano. There’s the Basil. Whether it is from the larger plants I grow

during the optimal summer season, or the organic plants I have delivered through Sam Produce

(@samproduce), I use the best basil in the region.


4. Where are your products currently available, and how can readers purchase Nonno

Pesto in time for Christmas?

On September 27, I made my last batch of pesto for clients. I am considering a Christmas gift

basket of assorted Pesto’s and homemade Italian flatbreads. The day-to-day business of making

fresh pesto became costly when faced with cancellations after orders were already produced.

Shop local has turned into shop Costco. I am now directing my business towards a private dining

experience, RESERVA. Authentic Italian cuisine with fresh house-made sauces and fresh pasta.

Wine included.!! 




5. You’ve built quite a following. Who are your main customers — home cooks,

restaurants, or both?

I have done collaborations and partnerships with bakeries, restaurants, and juice bars. The bulk

of customers have been largely home cooks, looking for preservative-free, healthy choice foods.

6. Do you offer different varieties of pesto (such as classic basil, sun-dried tomato, or

seasonal twists?

From Genoa to Calabrese style, to Sicilian, to fun fusion Pesto’s such Holé with Cilantro and

Cotija Cheese or my Hawaiian spin using imported Macadamia. While I am a traditionalist, it's

fun to embrace and produce something new as well.

7. What’s the biggest challenge of running an artisanal food business, and how do you

overcome it?

I don’t like to talk about the taste or quality of my own Pesto. Customers rave about it. The

challenge is pretty simple: price. Even the cost to prepare pesto from the ingredients alone is

expensive. You don’t just replace basil with anything green. Over the past two years,

orders have declined significantly. I’ve had customers tell me I should try the big chain variety. They

get more for less, and it lasts for several months in the fridge, even a year!! If I still have to

explain fresh versus preservatives, that’s a huge challenge.

8. Looking ahead, can you share any upcoming projects or new products you’re working on

for 2026?

I am open to collaborations and partnerships. A mobile pizza on wheels producer has reached out, and

 we are in discussions. I am focused on my Italian dining experience, where I take the

delicacies right to customers' Homes. It’s not catering. It’s bringing a restaurant experience to the

home, the Casa. RESERVA.

9. What advice would you give to aspiring food entrepreneurs who want to bring a family

recipe to the market?

If you have the means to lease a commercial place and your product can pay for this and thrive,

go for it. I sat down with the owner of a local restaurant in Oakville. I don’t wish to name names,

award-winning restaurant - the gentleman told me, ‘Mario, if I can recommend

only one thing, buy the building’. I looked into a place to take my Pesto business to the next

level. $1.6 million. Not in the cards at the moment. My advice keep your Family recipe close to

the vest and test out your product to see if your local community will embrace and sustain the

sales.

10. Finally, how does it feel to see Nonno Pesto becoming part of the Canadian holiday

traditions, and what message do you have for your loyal customers this season?

As you can see from my answers, business is in decline. Shop Local and Shop Healthy have

taken a backseat to the big chain stores and products that can last for months in fridges and pantries. 

I would love to bring back some of the Christmas gift baskets. I have done this in the past. Right now, 

It’s a battle for business survival.


Mario Costanzo, Nonno’s Pesto

Call me @nonnospesto or WhatsApp 289-828-2359

For the RESERVA Italian dining experience 



                                              Nonno Pesto, holding his Alla Salute award. 


From his kitchen to your table, Mario has proven that passion, quality, and authenticity never go

out of style. Nonno Pesto isn’t just about food — it’s about family, tradition, and the joy of

sharing. As the holiday season approaches, it’s the perfect time to bring a jar of Nonno Pesto into

your home and make every meal unforgettable.


#nonnopesto  #reserva #privatechef #pesto #finedinning #homemade #foodie #delicious #shoplocal #canadian 

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home