The Art of a Perfect Pizza
The Art of Perfect Pizza
Pizzaiolo Roland Monteleone FB: Roland Monteleone
1. Roland, what inspired your love for pizza making?
Roland: I grew up in a home where cooking was the center of family life in Abruzzi, and then we moved to Toronto, Canada. Pizza was our Friday night ritual, and everyone added their own toppings, and I loved the creativity of it. Over time, I realized pizza isn’t just food, it’s a way to bring people together.
2. What makes your pizza style unique?
Roland: I focus on balancing thin, crispy crusts with light, fresh toppings. I use a blend of Italian and local Canadian ingredients if I am back home, like Ontario tomatoes, fresh basil, and artisan cheese. It’s about simplicity done right.
3. Do you prefer traditional or experimental pizza combinations?
Roland: Both! I love the classics like Margherita or Quattro Formaggi, but I’m also known to experiment. One of my favourites is roasted pear with prosciutto and gorgonzola. It’s unexpected, but it works.
4. What’s your secret to a perfect pizza crust?
Roland: Time and patience. I let my dough ferment for at least 24 hours. It develops flavor and gives that beautiful airy texture. And always use a pizza stone or steel, it makes all the difference.
5. Any advice for home cooks intimidated by pizza dough?
Roland: Don’t overthink it. Start with a basic recipe and good flour, 00 flour if you can find it. Let the dough rest and don’t rush it. Pizza dough should be soft and relaxed, not forced.
]6. What are your must-have toppings?Roland: Fresh mozzarella, cherry tomatoes, basil, and a drizzle of olive oil. I also love adding roasted garlic or a touch of chilli flakes for depth.
7. Do you have a favourite memory related to pizza?
Roland: Definitely making pizza with my kids. They get flour everywhere, but their excitement reminds me why I started it’s about joy and connection.
8. What advice would you give to young chefs starting out?
Roland: Stay curious. Don’t chase trends; learn the fundamentals first. Once you understand balance, texture, and flavour, you can make magic with simple ingredients.
Roland’s Signature Rustic Margherita Pizza
Ingredients:
-
2 cups (250 g) 00 flour or all-purpose flour
-
¾ cup (180 ml) warm water
-
1 tsp yeast
-
1 tsp salt
-
1 tbsp olive oil
-
½ cup tomato passata or crushed tomatoes
-
1 clove roasted garlic, mashed
-
125 g fresh mozzarella, sliced
-
Fresh basil leaves
-
Olive oil for drizzling
Instructions:
-
In a bowl, mix warm water, yeast, and olive oil. Add flour and salt; knead until smooth (about 8 minutes).
-
Cover and let rise for 24 hours in the fridge or at least 3 hours at room temperature.
-
Preheat oven to 475°F (245°C) with a pizza stone inside.
-
Roll out the dough thinly, spread tomato passata mixed with garlic, and top with mozzarella and basil.
-
Bake: 7–9 minutes until the crust is golden, and the cheese is bubbly.
-
Drizzle with olive oil and serve hot!
Labels: canadian, england, food, italian, italy, pizza, pizzoiolo, recipes





0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home